Monday 1 May 2017

Vagabond Vaidehi: An Adventurous Soul!


When we were on a month holiday to our village
I felt free as a wind…
I never stayed at home,
and wandered every possible corner as a Vagabond!

Maa being a bride was always under the veil
what an opportunity it was to fly in the air!
We: The Vagabonds moved far and wide…
Exploring every nook and corner of the village
Is an achievement, we thought we made!

And, when we returned in evening...
Maa rebuking and calling me,“Banncharni”
Was a thrill, I held close!

Even being asked to take trips to another village
I would grab the opportunity,
to say YES, and be BOLD!
What an adventure, it used to be…
Be it a cycle or motorcycle as a means!
I would be mocked of not asking for mother
But, the Vagabond in me knew…
it would miss the mother when bored!

Being adventurous, challenging it was to take those trips
to be in Nature, is what I always seeked...
Glorifying in Nature, hearing untold stories… as we made our way!
To be welcomed by fireflies all around, when dusk fell!

I can’t forget the moment,
when one of those evenings…
Fireflies would come, to settle down on me!
It felt cold on my skin, beaming like tiny angels
Shared my loneliness, as I recalled the time past!
Maternal home being patriarchal, was usually a curse…
Patriarchal home instead set me free
And, restored the Vaidehi in US!
Even at night when we would be asked to call on someone,
it didn’t dither me to take a round as well!
Our village, being on Island of Snakes
we knew Fireflies and Moon would come down to Guide us!
Never afraid of Ghost…
which they said hung on China rose tree, every night...
It was snakes, which made me jump!

Maa’s word, was an assurance though:

“They are like winds…
 you will never come to know
from where they have come and where do they go …”

Every Summer spent in the village,
was an adventure waited to be told!
For when we returned to town...
Friends and family, would exclaim,
“How burnt! You are My God!”
But, those words sounding sweetest
Reminded me of the adventure I took!


Key Words:
*Banncharni: A girl who walk in woods, and cares less about her looks.

*Vedahi: Another name of Sita, wife of Ram!


Village: Saurath Sabha Gachi

Pic Courtesy: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment